Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 4: AR-OK-TX-OK

I am pretty fucking happy right now. (Yes, I know, I need to clean up my shitty language and to stop cursing like a goddamn sailor. But I digress.)

First off, I am completely naked right now. Like, totally. The only creatures at this campsite to blush because they were exposed to my sexiness are squirrels. Possibly daddy-long-legs. I got THE ENTIRE CAMPSITE TO MYSELF! And I only paid for one spot. That's a Tuesday for ya in a zombie state of Alkohoma (more on that later.) Everyone is in their trailers drinking Busch (nasty beer-derived substance, if you ask me, but I am traveling on a tight budget and 12 of those cost less than a six-pack of a relatively acceptable brew, so I am drinking it too.) BTW, if you are continuing to read through this blog after this sensitive and somewhat personal information, you are either a good friend or just a morbidly curious stocker. ;)

Secondly, I am no longer riding in a hawt-ass 108F weather. I poured a bottle of water all over myself (yes, including my pants, if the inquiring minds want to know!) and that was a life-saver riding the bike at 90 mph.

Thirdly, it is NOT going to rain tonight. I am 100% positive about that, save that trouble for another night, yeah. When I got to the camp after a full day of riding under the clear blue skies, there was a huge-ass freaking dark cloud right over my head and I heard thunder too. More than once. Both before AND after I had some whisky. Not about to give up, I started to hum AC-DC's Thunderstruck. THUNDER!!! But the cloud went away. It knew I'm not an easy guy to impress. Plus I was armed with a tent, beer, whisky and dinner (some good REI Santa Fe style chicken with rice, beans, corn and whatnot - not at all Paleo, but it will make me lose some weight tomorrow no later than morning...) Oh yeah, I also got myself a fresh red bell pepper. And ate bananas and a peach yesterday. Trying to treat this body well.

Also, I finally spoke with Rosie on the phone for more than just a minute. She loved the flowers I frivolously sent her earlier today through an online delivery service. Cuz I love her and cuz it's amazing how you can just pull over in the middle of Oklahoma's infinite cemetery/cow fields, hook up your netbook to your cell and BOOM! you are online.

What else. Sent a postcard to my son who's just hanging out in Afghanistan cuz it's fun and he an officer. He's gonna pee in his BDUs when he gets it. Hope he wears camo that days.

Had a great day of riding. Left pretty early, although I did feel like staying another day by the DAM! Lake and hanging out with the professors and their cool kids (who were totally in love with my helmet and almost fought each other for the privilege of wearing it.) There was some swimming in the lake and fishing planned for the day, too... And we had all these conversations the night before and put quite a dent in the bottle of Early Times together... But alas, I had a program to stick with.

Southern Arkansas and northern Oklahoma is where it's at. Very similar to the Blue ridge parkway. AND there was not. a. single. car. on. the. road. for. 17. miles. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! But that's not all. I truly believe Oklahoma is populated exclusively and entirely by zombies. I saw maybe a 100 cars on the road (mostly pickup trucks and Mustangs) in the entire state today, and I rode through the whole territory north to south. I didn't notice the drivers at all. There were no people outside. Those inside the single Qwik-E-Mart I stopped by to pickup some water scared the shizzle out of me simply by the way they looked. So, zombie state it is. By the way, central/southern Oklahoma and northern Texas are devoid of natral geographic elevations and motorcycling fun. Just a big flat pancake. Or, as the French say, crepe.

Tomorrow I am going to be in New Mexico. Which means no trees. Not even bonsai. Which is why I will stay at a hotel (finally, for the first time in 5 days.) The next day, there will be some good riding out there on the one and only Route 66 (hellz yeah I'll get my kicks!) and mountains and parks near Santa Fe (hence, tonight's dinner choice inspiration.)

And yes, I am going to post pictures. Maybe even tomorrow night while at the hotel. The bandwidth provided by a tethered Android is not that great for large files. But rest assured, I got y'all some pix to look at. Including one of me naked. Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment