Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 20: MI-OH-PA

This was just plain wrong. A horrible injustice happened, ladies and gentlemen of the jury. I rode all day, about 450 miles and I only stopped twice for gas and a fairly quick bite to eat. Would it kill them to keep the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame open for another 30 minutes? I'll have to go there again I guess. I got as far as the bathrooms though, so I did leave my mark in rock and roll history...

But everything happens for a reason. Having a really heavenly frittata at Morning At Maggies Omelette in Bay City, MI and out-of-this-world fried calamari along with a microbrewed draft smoked porter at Fat Head's Brewery in a Cleveland's suburb were both welcome and extremely enjoyable experiences. Highly recommend both places!

Last night was another one of those ride till you can ride no mo' nights. Got to Oscoda, MI as the sun was about to kiss the horizon good night. There were no campsites in the area but there were lots of cabins and lodges priced at $85 and higher for some very basic accommodations.. A highway robbery, if you ask me. A highway robbery, I tell ya, even if you don't. But my persistence paid off and soon enough I found a small cabin (not much bigger than a Mini Cooper) for only $35. Score! That meant that I had more beer and gas money. And beer.

I think I am finally getting a little tired. Or maybe it's that I am so close to home. Whatever the reason, I sleep more and ride less. And it feels good. It was definitely the other way around at the beginning of this trip.

Passed this Harley today, which in itself not at all significant as it happens all the time. The bike was red, the rider was from Oregon and there was a lot of travel and camping gear. He appeared to be doing a similar type trip. I waived at him and gave him a thumb up. Respect, brother!

Not an awful lot of scenery after I left The Lakes. But its scenic here again - here being PA Amish country. Saw a bearded dude riding his horse buggy. I swear I feel like I am in medieval Europe every time I see those.

Great food and beer and the Rock and Old Roll joint aside, one other wonderful thing happened today. I got to see an old college friend - after about 17 years. She and her beautiful family live in a very serene PA countryside and are very happy here. A tasty homemade dinner, endless stories... I am extremely blessed to have the friends I have. Staying here overnight and heading home tomorrow.

And - I can't wait to get home to my girl and my pups. And my shower. And my bed. And my fridge ;) Will look for scenic roads to ride, but I also gotta beat the abominable Friday afternoon DC traffic...

Honk if you see me on the road!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment