Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 14: ID-MT

What is the purpose of sightseeing? I don't really know, but it's fun and relaxing and worth doing. And riding your butt off getting there and back.

Got up at 5 AM. Maybe I was super excited to see glaciers. Maybe I was too cold. Checked the bike to find out it was 43F out there. The coldest temperature yet! Took an extra long hot shower, put on 3 layers of clothes and took off. Not even 30 miles into my ride I had to pull over, have a cup of hot tea, put on my windproof rain suit and warm gloves. There, much better.

Glacier National Park was as majestic as I expected it to be. Mountain ranges, lakes, gorgeous twisted roads... Going To The Sun was the name of the road I took. Simply amazing. Patches of snow everywhere. Dinosaurs must have frolicked in that ancient snow. There is no way it will ever melt. Ever. Cuz it's mostly done melting and there are no glaciers left.

Enjoyed the park for a few hours and headed south. I am not looking for Santa and I like my Augusts warmer than that. Rode through some flat-ass countryside. Fields and plains. And winds - strong, gusty, aggressive. Felt like they were body-checking me and the bike a few times. Not a fan.

Spending the night at a good friend's brother's house. The dude and his future wife are a cool young couple (both are highly educated and excellent cooks, too!) And they live so close to the northern entrances to the park - score!

Spending the whole entire day tomorrow riding around Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Cuz they ain't gonna ride around themselves.

Menage a trois. Trains, boats, automobiles.


Thank goodness they had English subtitles.




Montana














A Tourist Humvee


Flatlandia


Wouldn't want to live here


God is a quite a joker here in MT


No comments:

Post a Comment